Monday, November 17, 2014

Married & Almost 30

Photo Credit: Leighanne Herr Photography
"I feel good with my husband: I like his warmth and his bigness and his being-there and his making and his jokes and stories and what he reads and how he likes fishing and walks and pigs and foxes and little animals and is honest and not vain or fame-crazy and how he shows his gladness for what I cook him and joy for when I make him something, a poem or a cake, and how he is troubled when I am unhappy and wants to do anything so I can fight out my soul-battles and grow up with courage and a philosophical ease. I love his good smell and his body that fits with mine as if they were made in the same body-shop to do just that. What is only pieces, doled out here and there to this boy and that boy, that made me like pieces of them, is all jammed together in my husband. So I don't want to look around any more: I don't need to look around for anything." 
-Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath

I married Tom on an overcast afternoon in Downtown Houston, in front of our closest loved ones. I'm told the sun chose our vows as the moment to make an appearance, but I was too focused on not crying to notice Ra celebrating my love & our promises to each other. Expectedly, the night passed in a whirl of brief moments with people, punctuated with drinks, snapshots of the night remembered the next day. 

Everything about our wedding was perfect. I could not have asked for anything more. Not a step was out of place, not a plan falling awry. 

I cannot wait to get the rest of our wedding pictures! Leighanne is not only a photographer, but truly an artist, taking not just pictures, but making each photograph into its own work of art. 

Now with the stress of wedding planning behind us & the anticipation of a beautiful photo album all that remains, we look forward to our honeymoon! I'm slowly working towards organizing the myriad of activities we have planned. Tom asked if we could take a couple weeks break from planning before I started another spreadsheet. :P I can't help it! I love planning! I love the organization, the fitting of puzzle pieces together to make an event come alive. It's a way for me to control the chaotic world in which we live. I theorize that's why I love cooking so much; each night I can plan & execute a gourmet dinner, crafting & controlling my evening. 

Anyhow, for a while now, I've been warning people to expect big things of my 30th birthday, but now I'm kind of worn out on the BIG event planning & instead, I think I'm going to just have those available & in town over for a night of drinks & chatting. Low-key house party to ring in the new decade of life. 

Each year gets better & better; I can't wait for what 30 has in store for me! The best part continues to be sharing this life of mine with Tom.

love,
christine

No comments: